Username::         Password::          Remember me
Many issues with newest update
ShuGrDaddy
Administrator

RE: Many issues with newest update
The internet connection should not be a problem - we added some extra checking just in case. This seems to be a Surface only thing. We could not reproduce the Surface playback crash but added some logging to help capture what is going on in the background.

So give it a shot and let us know what happens. If it crashes - there should be a ShugrMediaError.log file you can send us.

Thank you
04-24-2014, 12:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Missionsparta

(04-24-2014, 12:25 AM)ShuGrDaddy Wrote:  The internet connection should not be a problem - we added some extra checking just in case. This seems to be a Surface only thing. We could not reproduce the Surface playback crash but added some logging to help capture what is going on in the background.

So give it a shot and let us know what happens. If it crashes - there should be a ShugrMediaError.log file you can send us.

Thank you

I'll try it out when I get home. I don't think it's an actual media player problem, because our crashes when trying to open a third party player also m

(04-24-2014, 12:25 AM)ShuGrDaddy Wrote:  The internet connection should not be a problem - we added some extra checking just in case. This seems to be a Surface only thing. We could not reproduce the Surface playback crash but added some logging to help capture what is going on in the background.

Thank you

So far so good. App runs with no internet connection. Videos now play. Jut a few more issues. If I play a not support format (mkv ie.) it will launch the default third party app. When I try to go back to Movie Premier, it has crashed, I am assuming because it isn't told to go back to the menu while the third party app runs.

I also purchased the pro plus option on the original version of Movie Premier. The new version only sees that I have purchased it if I have an internet connection. So when I have no connection, I lost those features. Is there a way for it to place a code on the tablet that would tell the app it had been purchased when there is no internet connection?

The app is not showing the backgrounds when I don't have an internet connection. I have messed with the cache option as well as the download backgrounds locally option and that hasn't helped. Is there something else I should try?

And lastly, a suggestion. The "watched" is great. But, I accidentally marked and episode as watched and currently can't fid a way to switch the episode back to unseen. Is there a way to do this, or can that be added in a later update? Also maybe something when you get the episode list on the upper pull down menu that would signify what episodes have been seen?

Thanks again guys, keep up the great work.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2014, 01:37 AM by Missionsparta.)
04-24-2014, 12:56 AM
IlliniAlumnus

Another problem with the new update:

I've added a custom view and set that view as the view to start with.

When launching Movie Premier I get an error dialog: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." Then Movie Premier closes and doesn't give me the capability to change anything.
04-24-2014, 03:48 AM
ShuGrDaddy
Administrator

We found the problem with the Custom View and will get this fixed and pushed in the next update. In the meantime if you send an email to support@shugrmedia.com we can walk you through manually correcting the data.

We do not control the caching of the app purchases but can see if there is a way that MS caches purchases such that we can read from it.

The current cache option only works for cover art but we can look to extend it for backdrops. This will have an impact on how large the database becomes.

I will post back when we have a timeframe for getting the next update pushed.

Thank you
04-24-2014, 04:21 AM
Missionsparta

(04-24-2014, 04:21 AM)ShuGrDaddy Wrote:  We found the problem with the Custom View and will get this fixed and pushed in the next update. In the meantime if you send an email to support@shugrmedia.com we can walk you through manually correcting the data.

We do not control the caching of the app purchases but can see if there is a way that MS caches purchases such that we can read from it.

The current cache option only works for cover art but we can look to extend it for backdrops. This will have an impact on how large the database becomes.

I will post back when we have a timeframe for getting the next update pushed.

Thank you

Maybe the data cache for backgrounds can be an option to turn on and off, that way those with large libraries can turn this option off to avoid the large file base?

Once again. Xbox Video has been a huge dissapointment for those of us that already have our own libraries. This app has made Windows 8/RT far less painful. Microsoft should really look at what you guys are doing. Because this is hoe they should of been handling the personal files aspect of Xbox Video. Who knows...they may wise up and hire some of you.
04-24-2014, 04:27 AM
gryphon
Administrator

(04-24-2014, 12:56 AM)Missionsparta Wrote:  So far so good. App runs with no internet connection. Videos now play. Jut a few more issues. If I play a not support format (mkv ie.) it will launch the default third party app. When I try to go back to Movie Premier, it has crashed, I am assuming because it isn't told to go back to the menu while the third party app runs.

I also purchased the pro plus option on the original version of Movie Premier. The new version only sees that I have purchased it if I have an internet connection. So when I have no connection, I lost those features. Is there a way for it to place a code on the tablet that would tell the app it had been purchased when there is no internet connection?

The app is not showing the backgrounds when I don't have an internet connection. I have messed with the cache option as well as the download backgrounds locally option and that hasn't helped. Is there something else I should try?

And lastly, a suggestion. The "watched" is great. But, I accidentally marked and episode as watched and currently can't fid a way to switch the episode back to unseen. Is there a way to do this, or can that be added in a later update? Also maybe something when you get the episode list on the upper pull down menu that would signify what episodes have been seen?

Have you re-synchronized your collection after switching the backdrop to local? With the old version, there wasn't an option to use local backgrounds, so it always pulled from the web and never downloaded the images locally.

In the new version, we have two options. One is to elect to download backgrounds (backdrops) locally (even if you are viewing them on the web), and the other option is to use either web backgrounds or local backgrounds. Even if you switch to download backgrounds, you have to re-synchronize your collection or individual movies to get the backgrounds downloaded.

The way it works is if you did have your setting to look for the web first and it couldn't find the background on the web, it should automatically try to use the background on your local file system if there is one. But again, there will only be one there if you've synchronized since upgrading to version 2.0.0.0 or greater since that's the first time we've had that option available.
04-24-2014, 10:17 AM
Missionsparta

(04-24-2014, 10:17 AM)gryphon Wrote:  
(04-24-2014, 12:56 AM)Missionsparta Wrote:  So far so good. App runs with no internet connection. Videos now play. Jut a few more issues. If I play a not support format (mkv ie.) it will launch the default third party app. When I try to go back to Movie Premier, it has crashed, I am assuming because it isn't told to go back to the menu while the third party app runs.

Have you re-synchronized your collection after switching the backdrop to local? With the old version, there wasn't an option to use local backgrounds, so it always pulled from the web and never downloaded the images locally.

In the new version, we have two options. One is to elect to download backgrounds (backdrops) locally (even if you are viewing them on the web), and the other option is to use either web backgrounds or local backgrounds. Even if you switch to download backgrounds, you have to re-synchronize your collection or individual movies to get the backgrounds downloaded.

The way it works is if you did have your setting to look for the web first and it couldn't find the background on the web, it should automatically try to use the background on your local file system if there is one. But again, there will only be one there if you've synchronized since upgrading to version 2.0.0.0 or greater since that's the first time we've had that option available.

I'm a little confused. What I am trying to do is get the app to automatically download backdrops from the web to my local memory when I sync, and then use the local backdrops from there. Any way to do this?
04-24-2014, 12:06 PM
gryphon
Administrator

If you want the app to download backdrops to your folders where your movies are located onto your local storage, that is the "Download video backdrops locally" option in the Options menu. Once you turn that on, and THEN sync, the backdrops will be downloaded locally in the same folder as your movies. At that point, you don't have to be on the internet for the backdrops to show since it will grab it from the local folder.

If you have your "Source for backdrop images" option set to "Local", then it will always search for the backdrop on your local storage. If you have it set to one of the "Web" options, it will first look on the web and if it can't find it or if you're not connected to the internet, it will use the one in your local storage if it's been downloaded like in the steps in the first paragraph. Let us know if you have problems with this.
04-24-2014, 01:27 PM
Missionsparta

(04-24-2014, 01:27 PM)gryphon Wrote:  If you want the app to download backdrops to your folders where your movies are located onto your local storage, that is the "Download video backdrops locally" option in the Options menu. Once you turn that on, and THEN sync, the backdrops will be downloaded locally in the same folder as your movies. At that point, you don't have to be on the internet for the backdrops to show since it will grab it from the local folder.

If you have your "Source for backdrop images" option set to "Local", then it will always search for the backdrop on your local storage. If you have it set to one of the "Web" options, it will first look on the web and if it can't find it or if you're not connected to the internet, it will use the one in your local storage if it's been downloaded like in the steps in the first paragraph. Let us know if you have problems with this.

Alright. I figured out what I was doing different than what you were saying. I was just "rescanning" from the option menus. I needed to use the "get details" option to get it to download the art.

Now the new problem. Doing as you say, it will download the DVD/Poster covers for the movies, the backdrop art for the movies, and the backdrop art for the TV shows. But, it will not download the DVD covers for the TV shows.
04-25-2014, 01:20 AM
gryphon
Administrator

(04-25-2014, 01:20 AM)Missionsparta Wrote:  
(04-24-2014, 01:27 PM)gryphon Wrote:  If you want the app to download backdrops to your folders where your movies are located onto your local storage, that is the "Download video backdrops locally" option in the Options menu. Once you turn that on, and THEN sync, the backdrops will be downloaded locally in the same folder as your movies. At that point, you don't have to be on the internet for the backdrops to show since it will grab it from the local folder.

Alright. I figured out what I was doing different than what you were saying. I was just "rescanning" from the option menus. I needed to use the "get details" option to get it to download the art.

Now the new problem. Doing as you say, it will download the DVD/Poster covers for the movies, the backdrop art for the movies, and the backdrop art for the TV shows. But, it will not download the DVD covers for the TV shows.

You may not see it where you expect to see the covers for the TV shows. Does the artwork not show up when you use the application? Or did you do a check on your file system? If doing a check on the file system then you won't see it because the files are placed elsewhere for TV show and box set covers. It won't actually be next to the video files, but in a separate image folder alongside the application. This is to prevent duplicating the same image for each episode of the TV show.
04-25-2014, 01:51 AM